If you’ve been following along with all of our posts this week, you already know a ton about running an online store. You set up your payment options. You know how to create store items and organize store pages. You even understand your store’s advanced features, like shipping options and item variations. By tomorrow, you’re going to be an online store master—there are just a few more things to learn.
Today we’re going to show you how to create discount codes, which your customers can use during checkout. Discount codes can be created either as a percentage (e.g. 30% off) or a dollar amount (e.g. $15 off). You can also set a minimum order for discount codes, so that people can only use a code if they’ve spent a certain amount of money in your store. Discount codes can only be created by JimdoBusiness customers.
Watch the screencast below to learn exactly how to create discount codes and how customers will use them in your store during checkout.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when using discount codes:
- Choose the right occasion. Use discount codes sparingly, like around the holidays or when you need to clear out some of your inventory.
- You know your customers best. Look at your customers’ purchasing habits and consider what kind of discount code would encourage them to make additional purchases. Use a tool like Google Analytics to see which products on your site are viewed most often, and consider promoting them with a discount code.
- Set a minimum order. This is especially important if you’re selling lots of low-priced items—you don’t want someone getting a $10 discount on a $12 order. One of our favorite discounts is $10 off of $50.
Latest posts by Dan Gray (see all)
- Increase Online Sales with Free Shipping - April 17, 2014
- Making Your First Sale: Managing Orders and Inventory - January 10, 2014
- How to Create Discount Codes for Your Online Store - January 9, 2014