Yesterday, we showed you how to set up your personal profile and payment options. Go read that post and set up your online store if you haven’t already—it only takes a few minutes.
Watch the screencast below to learn about the options you have when creating store items and store catalogs. We also discuss how to design beautiful and functional store pages.
Tips for Store Items and Store Catalogs
As you start building your online store, you’re going to be creating lots of store items and store catalogs. Learning the ins and outs of these elements will save you time in the long run. Below, we’ve given our top tips for getting the most out of your store elements.
The store item element has three tabs: Text, Photo, and Price. Today, we’re just going to talk about the first two tabs. Later on this week we’ll dive into the Price tab.
- Make sure you write a great description for your store item. Not only will this encourage people to purchase it once they’ve landed on your page, but it may help your product show up in search engine results as well.
- Add tags to your items. Tags make it easier to organize your products using store catalogs. You can use more than one tag, and you can change them as often as you want.
- Try out the Detailed View. In the Photo tab, check “Detailed View” so that your visitors can hover over your product image and get a closer look.
The store catalog element has lots of options for customization—you’ll need to experiment to find the look and feel that’s best for your site. Here are a couple of tips to guide you along the way.
- Check out the Slider View under Display. This view is great for long lists of items and the arrows entice people to keep scrolling, which means more exposure for your products.
- Don’t forget about the sorting options. It can be helpful to have a store catalog sorted by price so that your customers can find the most affordable products. Showing off your most popular products is also a great strategy.
Latest posts by Dan Gray (see all)
- Making Your First Sale: Managing Orders and Inventory - January 10, 2014
- How to Create Discount Codes for Your Online Store - January 9, 2014
- Advanced Store Tour: Shipping Options, Sale Prices, and Item Variations - January 8, 2014